Friday, December 28, 2007

NFL Network

I am a little disappointed in CBS and NBC for agreeing to show the Pats game on Saturday, which was originally scheduled to air exclusively on the NFL Network (I use bold to show reverence, of course). I don't understand why the networks would give in to THE NETWORK and let the NFL off the hook. The fans were angry that they didn't get to see the Pats go for purrrrfect, well looks like the NFL screwed the pooch. But no, CBS and NBC are terrified of looking like the bad guy, when it is the NFL who moves MNF to cable and fails to actively engage the cable companies to get THE NETWORK into all those cable viewing homes. I do have to --- watch out here --- commend some of the cable companies for not giving in and including THE NETWORK on the basic cable packages of subscribers. If I have cable, which I don't, I would probably be willing to pay for THE NETWORK, but I don't think it is fair to have non-interested subscribers paying (not a small) amount for this channel. I understand that the same argument could be made for most cable channels, but I think it is a matter of degree given the specialization of THE NETWORK and the cost per subscriber per month proposed by the NFL. But in the end, I know the cable companies are trying to hold out to get their cut too -- especially the local provider here in Madison.

On the game side of things, I think the pats will finish 16-0 and fall in the Championship or Super Bowl... but maybe I'm just hoping here. Go Pack! Go Colts!

No comments: