Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Badgers fall to the Vols...

I watched the entire Outback Bowl, featuring the hometown Badgers pitted against the Vols of Tennessee. This may very well be the first time I have ever watched a bowl game front to back play by play (Even those I was interested in I had some breaks for beer or cigs). The vols pulled it out 21-17, but the Badgers did at least offer a fight after trailing 21-7 in the mid second quarter. A slightly over or under (it's all relative) thrown ball by Donovan in the waning moments was the difference, as he was picked at the goal line. The Badgers overcame a couple of miscues, and were unable to capitalize fully on the opportunities given by the Volunteers.* According to the box score the Vols were 8 of 18 on 3rd down conversions, but I know the folks watching were I was felt that it was much closer to 80% success rate... maybe they just got the big ones? The Badgers never got a solid footing in the passing game, due to the inability to protect the QB... Tyler took shots all day. The good news on offense was that all three backs looked to be ready for next year... especially PJ Hill. Defensively, it was nice to see a second half shutout, but significant work needs to be done in spring practice to cut down on the big yardage allowed after the catch. A 9-4 campaign isn't great, but given my preseason prediction of 8-5 - I'm pleasantly suprised.

In other bowl news, my alma mater Hoosiers fell to the Cowboys (led by "I'm the Man Gundy")49-33. The game wasn't as close as the score indicates, as the Hoosiers came out flat on both sides of the football.

* One of these opportunites was a fumble in the second quarter when the Vols tried a trick play that involved a nearly all standing offensive line and a razzle dazzle dippy doo between the legs hand off.... If anyone can explain what was going on on this play, I would appreciate it.

No comments: